Is that a compliment?

Monday 2 July 2012



Most of us have a thing or two against being complimented. 


Exhibit A


Girl:                         I like your nails, and I love the polish, I can never work that colour!
Me/you (thoughts): REALLY? I think my nails are okay, besides I have fat fingers, they do look like sausages. Do I counter offer a compliment? awww...I always liked her, maybe we shall become bffs. I never liked weaves anyway.
Me/You (answer): Really? I thought this colour was dodgy plus my fingers are fat! I really do like your shoes.


Exhibit B


Boy:                          Hi... I haven't seen you in forever!!! You look really nice!!!
Me/You (thoughts): "Really nice" hmm..How bad was it before? Ghosh I thought I was the only one who realised how bad I used to look before.! Okay, so I look "really nice", if I smile too wide, I might creep him out and he might think I like him, WAIT...am not the one giving out the compliment so maybe he might like me. What am I going to have for dinner?I hate soup! IS HE STARING AT MY NOSE??? How rude!
Me/You (answer):  Yeah, it's been forever... Sorry, I'm in a rush but nice bumping into you. Bye.


Why is it so hard to just say 'Thank You' without the need for flight or counter offers? Personally I think we have ridiculed selves too many times to take any compliment seriously. We easily think that we are being made fun of or they possibly don't mean it and are just using it as an icebreaker. Am sure we all have our reasons why we would rather freeze in the cold than accept a compliment. 


My suggestion: I suggest that we start by believing that we aren't as bad looking as we think we are and just humbly say 'thank you' whenever we are paid a compliment and refrain from acting strange. Many of us want to be "powerful somethings" so what kind of precedent shall we set for those who will look up to us?



4 comments:

  1. Well sometimes its flattery, mayb dats y!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, SOMETIMES but other times, it might not be flattery.:-)

      Delete
  2. Lol!!! YES, I'M STARING AT YOUR NOSE....!! Reminds me of Everybody hates Chris, when the nurse had a mole and Chris suggested the mole had better get credits after the episode and it did!

    BUT, I think it's best to just say thank you! It just kind of kills the complimenting if you don't want it!
    Nice one!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OML...is it good?never really watched that show...I should look into it, if am not too late. We are going to try to say 'thank you' and eventually it will grow on us. Thank you Jesse.

    ReplyDelete